FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Connecting / airport transit inside PVG Shanghai Pudong [Merged PVG connection thread
Old Nov 11, 2009, 3:32 pm
chunky649

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Glad to see the OP made it. However, here are some more considerations for a 2 hour connection at PVG based on my limited (~8 international flights so far and ~3 domestic flights at PVG):

Your flight may have 300 people on it. Your luggage may take 30 minutes if you are unlucky.

Customs and immigration have always been very fast/efficient for me. (~under 10 minute to pass through both)

Your arrival terminal may be different than the departing terminal (1 and 2). They are a good 10 minute walk. If you have luggage, or trouble walking, plan for more time.

The check-in wait line (queue) may be very very long. On my last flight using China Eastern, I waited over 30 minutes. On a previous NWA international flight, I wait between 20 to 40 minutes.

Add those times together and you will see that you are at risk to miss your flight!

Once you got your boarding pass, you are pretty much ok, because from the security gate to your flight is probably under 10 minutes. (Security is very efficient, even with the crap that some people try to pull.. My last crossing, I saw someone with a frozen chicken with a frozen bottled water jammed inside it to keep it cooled. The funny thing was - After security cut the chicken in half (they have a big cook's knife!) took the frozen water bottle out, they packed the chicken back up and gave it back to the passenger! I wonder what it will smell like when she get to her final destination....