FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping
Old Nov 10, 2009, 8:36 pm
deant

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by travis bickle
my bank takes my coins and adds them to whatever else they had intended to send via armored car = one shipment only.

and, your own last paragraph tells me you agree --- since my coins are now being added to an already scheduled armored car shipment, there is no additional charge.
Can you please explain how the mint is billed for shipments (UPS vs armored truck) vs how a bank is billed?

I would assume that a single bank would have much less to send to the Fed than the US Mint. Hence the bank would probably have a higher cost of transportation (on a per pound type basis). You also need to consider that, according to published reports, the banks are supposed to send the coins loose and need to be counted (not that they always do) vs the mint sending rolls or boxes of coins that do not require counting.

Is that your understanding? Also, you need to address 2 shipments (mint to individual / bank and bank to vault) vs 1 shipment (mint to vault).

If you can provide that information, I would gladly agree with you.

Last edited by deant; Nov 10, 2009 at 9:08 pm