FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Crowne Plaza Hong Kong Causeway Bay Master Thread
Old Nov 10, 2009, 6:45 am
turtlemichael

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
I've spent the past two days at the hotel. We booked a base level room on the Opening Special which included free internet and breakfast. We were upgraded to a Club King on a high floor. I have no idea whether this was some opening generosity or whether it will be standard for platinums.

First, the hotel in general. It is stylish, comfortable and well finished, certainly for a CP. Our room was large with a very good bed and all the usual features. The shower was excellent though the bathroom itself is austere with very basic toiletries that weren't replenished. The mini bar contains some beers, sodas and wine only. Internet costs HKD140.00 for 24 hours if you have to pay for it. It is not included in the club room rate. Soundproofing of the rooms from street noise is good.

The gym has some free weights and about 6 exercise machines. Maybe they are waiting on more equipment as there is spare room. Views from the gym are great.

The problem with a new hotel of course is they always open before they are finished. In the CP's case the roof top pool isn't working yet but it will be spectacular when it is operating. It's just long enough to do laps. The views are great. The night club next to it has lots of atmosphere.

The restaurant ("Kudos") is casual, attractive and low key. Breakfast was standard fare and not very inspiring (around HKD210.00 pp so not cheap) but the dinner we had there one night was excellent. It was a buffet and of very high quality for the price, currently reduced by 20%. With the reduction it came in about HKD260.00 pp.

There is a lounge on the ground floor that looked popular for coffee and cakes.

However, the highlight was the club. It's on the second floor and not overly exciting to look at. There will be 2 computers there when they arrive! (There is also a separate business centre which I didn't visit). And also, they haven't yet started to serve breakfast in the Club. However, they are currently sending club guests to the restaurant for breakfast. There is an excellent afternoon tea and a very good happy hour in the evening from 5.30 to 7.30pm. There is a self serve bar with a large array of all the spirits, wine and beers. The snacks were substantial and excellent quality. Certainly enough for a dinner for some! The only fear I have is that it is too good to last for a CP.

Service is enthusiastic and professional. They all seem proud of their new hotel. If I were to stay again I would certainly be looking for a club level upgrade or indeed would be prepared to pay for it. It seems very good value on current rates.

The hotel is about 100 metres from Exit A on the Causeway Bay MTR station. But it would be a hard hike with luggage as you walk a long way underground to the train.

All up, I think it will be amongst the best of the CP's and it has great potential. I'd happily return.