FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flyertalk iphone app?
View Single Post
Old Nov 8, 2009, 9:54 am
jackal
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Thanks, Randy!

The new interface is sleek--very usable.

I've got a few suggestions after playing around with it for a few minutes:

-No UserCP/MyFlyerTalk that I could see to access. This is crucial! (Edit: I was able to get to a mobile-formatted version of MyFlyerTalk by manually inputting the URL after being in the mobile view, but I still didn't see a link to it)
-Still no "jump to first unread post" button like on the regular interface
-No way to edit posts
-Tried to navigate to subforums (like Alaska Airlines) by clicking on Miles & Points and instead got an error that there have been no new posts in the last -1 days.

All in all, it's gorgeous and a vast visual improvement over the basic WAP mobile site. With the above fixes, I could actually surf FT from my phone on a regular basis!

The biggest issue with FT on a phone is the lack of proper tabbed browsing. If ever a dedicated FT app comes out, the ability to queue up threads (and forums) for viewing (to mimic opening threads behind your MyFlyerTalk screen or forum screens) is an essential part of making the experience as fluid as possible. A cue on this could be taken from the iPhone app Wikipanion, a Wikipedia browser which allows you to queue up articles (in Wikipanion, when you tap an in-text link to an article, it adds it to the queue so you can finish reading the current article and then move to the next one).

As for the LH M&M app, is that what you were referring to a few weeks ago above as the new FT app? If so, must one be a M&M member to use it? As I mentioned above, I could not figure out what to put in the Access Code field to get it to work...

Last edited by jackal; Nov 8, 2009 at 7:58 pm Reason: Spelling and stuff--hey, I was posting on my iPhone! :P