View Single Post
Old Nov 7, 09, 10:41 pm
Richard_SVO_SPG_Platinum

I have stayed at most all properties in Mexico City this summer. Sheraton Centro Historica, Sheraton Marie-Isabel, St Regis and last weekend the W. By far the nicest property is the St Regis. The W although hipper seems a bit worn, the beds are not your typical W hotel bed...more like a futon on a platform. The room I stayed in was painted red (most walls and ceiling) and quite dark. The W didn't go out of it's way to recognize me as a platinum guest (I had to request a room upgrade from the standard).

As a Platinum guest, the St Regis will greet you with your choice of a glass of clique vieux champagne or I believe a bottle of Voss water. Arriving to the room I also received a complimentary bottle of white wine (Chardonnay), chocolates and fruit. The butler service provides complimentary pressing for two garments and a shoe shine. The rooms are immaculate, bedding heavenly...the bathroom amazing with an integrated LCD tv in the mirror. Both are CAT 5 but I would say that the St Regis deserves a CAT 6 rating. The room is state of the art tech with high def LCD tv, LCD touchscreen phone including integrated control of the rooms lighting. In-room dining was quite a gourmet treat. Also, the gym and infinity edge indoor pool are very nice with an amazing view.

Yes, car service from hotels and the St Regis is generally expensive compared to a local taxi. However, given how expensive it is in the USA...a 400-600 peso ride to the airport is less than $50/USD. If it's more than one person with luggage take a town car provided through the hotel. A gold & red taxi (typically an older model Nissan or Chevy) costs about 100 pesos to the airport (don't ever take the green & white VW ones). Authorized taxi's from the airport to Reforma/Polanco are about 187 pesos.