FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Across the globe in 35 days with CRTWSTAR (with pics)
Old Nov 1, 2009, 10:33 am
UALboy

Programs: UA 1P 1MM
Across the globe in 35 days with CRTWSTAR (with pics)

It has been my dream to be taking a RTW trip since reading all these wonderful TRs here. Finally, an opportunity presents itself as my +1 and I are going to have a few weeks off between engagements. Also, we got married a while ago but never got a chance to do a proper honeymoon. In fact, we were at work within 36 hours after we got married. So, here is a TR for our little journey across the globe. Please enjoy!

For a few months earlier this year, it was considerably cheaper to start a RTW in South Korea. So, with a CRTWSTAR starting in ICN, we had to find our way to ICN. Of course, as a good FTer, what fun would it be if we just take a direct flight from LAX. So, we got a positioning trip to DPS/CGK (no complaints there!) and an OW award ticket between CGK and ICN. Here is

LAX check-in/lounge

The check-in took unexpectedly long. We originally wanted to short-check our baggage to SIN, instead of all the way to CGK. However, the agent tried for 15 minutes before giving up and asking us to pick up our bags in CGK instead. Luckily, we packed our carry-on in an event that our checked bags would be lost for a few days. So, we reluctantly agreed with this arrangement and went through security.

TBIT is currently under construction. So, the not-so-glamorous entrance to the lounges

Entrance to the lounge

The lounge was quite crazy as there were passengers waiting to go to NRT on NH/SQ, ICN on OZ, and FRA on LH. The food and drinks options were quite uninspiring, but it was not a problem with a huge meal ahead of us anyways.

NH 5

With some excellent flights with NH before, I was excited to be on board with ANA again. Boarding process was once again swift. An interesting tidbit happened as two random passengers sat in F during boarding. That causes all the NH cabin crew to be quite frantic as they had to confront them politely and asked them to move back to their seat (and I did a walk through in C and EY without any sights of those two pax).

Even though I am in love with NH, the biggest problem with them is that it took them almost one hour to serve the first cocktail (after the miniature glass of champagne/green tea after take-off). However, the Japanese meal is always fantastic.

Oh... I wish I was on the other end of this sign...

Yummy glass of grand blue

Zensai
Simmered prawn
Golden brown scallop
Salt-grilled saury fish
Fishcake with beans
Flowery sweet vinegared turnip

Kobachi
Braised tofu and vegetable patty in savory radish soy sauce

Shusai
Braised duck breast and vegetables in special soy sauce

Sunomono
Octopus and surf clam salad tossed with Tosa vinegar

Steamed rice
Miso soup and assorted pickles

International course

Pork pate Provencale with marinated artichoke and fresh garden salad

Pan-fried beef tenderloin with onion confit and demi-glace
Sesame-crusted sea bream with herb olive oil sauce
Autumn vegetable quiche with creamy broccoli puree

Two kinds of bread with a choice of flavorful premium Isigny butter or extra-virgin olive oil

Dessert

ANA’s original partfait, mixed berries a la mode
Fresh seasonal fruit

Cheese

The rest of the flight flew by with some sleep and games. The crew was slightly less warm than my previous trips and I did not feel well taken care of. They did the on-the-book service where they checked a few times throughout the flight to see whether I needed any snacks. With 90 minutes to go, I was reminded that it was going to be my last opportunity to order any snacks. So, +1 decided to go on a little spread of snacks from the menu.

Light Meals Anytime

Light dishes and snacks
Dim-sum Chinese (two kinds of steamed chicken dumpling)
Cup of consumme sloup

Bowl of hot Japanese udon noodles with kitsune (fried tofu) garnish

Warm, homey rice ball with caramelized kombu kelp filling and miso soup
Toasted pork cutlet sandwich

Petite Japanese set
Bowl of rice topped with seasoned salmon flakes and soy-cured salmon roe
Assortment of delicacies
Fruit yoghurt

Petite international set
Classic beef stew in red wine sauce
Bread roll
Fruit yoghurt