FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question 1: Effective Feedback
View Single Post
Old Oct 30, 2009, 10:52 pm
aviators99

Let me start out by saying that I am looking forward to this "debate", and all of the forthcoming questions. I never like to engage in politics, so I choose to look at this as more of a discussion than a debate. I have read all of the candidates applications, and I wish we could all be on the TalkBoard. But whoever ends up serving will do a fine job. I apologize upfront if I don't come off sounding like a politician, or someone in a debate :-)

I feel very strongly that someone who is seeking feedback must proactively seek out that feedback. I believe that oftentimes, the people who are vocal with their opinion may not put forth the prevailing opinion. That being said, you cannot assume that those who are not being vocal are the prevailing opinion either! You must make an effort to enquire of the people who are not being vocal.

I am a big fan of soliciting the opinions of as large a sample of people as possible. Tools like surveys, polls, PM, etc. can be extremely useful before making an important decision that affects many people. I understand the purpose of the board, and that FT is not meant to be a full democracy (for example). But I believe that each board member should take the community's opinion into account, and give it the weight they feel it deserves (which for me is very much).