FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Premium Flying Across the Ditch (Between New Zealand and Australia)
Old Oct 30, 2009, 3:59 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
NZ C 747 lunch | Melbourne to Auckland (Air New Zealand business premier class on 747, afternoon flight)

Pre-flight

It didn't take long before I was at the end of the pier in the basement which is the NZ lounge. I had just enough time to check some messages and grab a quick drink before boarding was called. I always try to pay close attention to the call at Melbourne because there are a couple of gates which use the lower level and thus no point going all the way up to the main departures level only to drop back down again. Today we were using one of those gates so I went up one level and then cut through the passage to the gate.

There was a huge queue backed up all the way to the escalator. Normally there is someone at the top of the escalator to make sure passengers don't descend it if there is no room at the bottom but today there was either no one there, or they were distracted and not stopping people.

Onboard

I was welcomed back onboard and made my way to my favourite seat (at least the best one when flying Air NZ). As I started a movie I was handed a pre-departure drink without asking and my meal order was taken (to make sure I get what I want).

The next few hours went by in a blur. No, that wasn't the effect of alcohol, but rather I was chilled out while catching up on some paperwork, sitting very comfortably with an ear out for the movie playing, and yes okay also supping some nice drinks. Time whizzed by and all too soon I was asked if I wanted one last drink, and time to pack up my stuff.

We got some great views of the twin harbours and city due to our approach taking us past the city and then double back to land from the east. If I am not in a hurry this is my favourite approach, and fairly common too, although such clear skies are not so common.

Post-flight

We got a gate near the end of the main pier, but since I was first off there was no one to pass during the walk to immigration. The only other recently arrived flights were Emirates and 2 of the three aircraft were on the second pier. Immigration was only moderately busy so I got through fairly quickly. Customs was busier - while travelling with carry-on only is a benefit it also means you get to catch up with the customs queues from earlier flights.