FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011
Old Oct 26, 2009, 7:54 pm
jiejie

Programs: various
Originally Posted by Argen_Tina
I just ran into a brick wall with AA.

My platinum challenge was already paid for and started.

The miles have finally started to come in. However, my status didn't change
after I crossed over the 10,000 points threshold. I called AAdvantage and the
rep looked into it. After several minutes... she came back on the line....

it turns out that I do not qualify because
my AA ticket was paid/purchased outside
of the USA. (not US dollars)

The trips starts in Argentina, with stops in Chicago, Tokyo... and ends in Singapore.
The ticket only shows two airlines, AA and JL. The ticket is on AA stock.

My AAdvantage acct address on file has always been in the US. (my home address)

Had I known that tickets purchased in non-US$ and originating outside of the US
would not quaflity for the platinum challenge, I would have never paid the $200.
Called AA a couple more times and spoke to two supervisors... got the same reply....
While I'm not happy about it, I can understand it if it's their policy. Fine by me,
but now I'm mad because they refused to refund me the $200.

I have called my credit card company(Discover Card) and disputed the charge...

I am extremely upset by AA's underhanded tactics. When I first called to sign up
for the challenge, the rep looked at my reservation and fare basis. She told me that
my trip would qualify, so I happily allowed them to put $200 charge on my card.
Now they have my money, they tell me I don't qualify my challenge because my
ticket was purchased outside of the US using foreign currency? This is pure fraud.
Found this post very interesting, as I may be in a similar situation. After a long period of not flying much on AA, I'm contemplating a Challenge, which would be kicked off Dec 1 by flying PEK-NRT-DFW-JAN and return. NRT-JAN segments and reverse on AA flight numbers, AA metal. Ticket was purchased on aa.com (China site) using a USA-based credit card. Currency listed was Chinese Yuan. Ticket stock is AA. My AAdvantage home address is, and has always been, in USA.

Called the AA desk last night and put forward this issue and whether the currency of purchase--officially, in Chinese yuan--would scuttle the whole ticket for application towards a Challenge. Rep I got thought it was no problem but went away and checked with a supervisor, who said that the ticket segments on AA metal absolutely WOULD COUNT towards a challenge, and that as long as the ticket was on AA stock, AA flight numbers on AA metal (or AA codeshare on partners) and other normal conditions of the Challenge were met, this ticket absolutely would work. Also that the method of buying the ticket, currency etc, shouldn't make a difference--except that unpublished and consolidator-type tickets, Priceline, etc. wouldn't work.

So, I'm not sure what to think, based on this info vs. Argen-Tina's fiasco. Assuming there isn't some other circumstance in A-T's situation that negated the ticket applicability. I haven't pulled the trigger on the Challenge yet, as I have a little more time to think and can make a decision in November. It's likely that by Dec 31, I could make alternatively make Gold on EQM, with a little bit of domestic flying in the US in Dec. Platinum--no way I can get BIS EQM by Dec 31 even with DBLEQ promo. If I go with the Challenge, I'll report back later what happens on getting credited or no.