FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - salaries of cruise workers?
View Single Post
Old Oct 26, 2009, 4:26 pm
Nobbi

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, UA Premier 1K, TAP Silver, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by hedoman
Brilliant! Not one of your sentences makes sense. Is that $50 per day, week, contract? Nice and stupid Americans fall for these stories that lead to over tipping the poor servants. Most of the slave laborers are great salespeople and they do quite well with the $$$.

Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
They are not slave labor. Your bartender probably made 50 times more money in his cruise ship job than he could every make in his home country. He probably will keep his job for several contract because he chooses to.

They have a legal contract to work. They make as much and usually much more than they would make in their home country. The are trade offs to working away from your home country for every nationality. The cruise workers always have the option of leaving the job when they wish, just like every other worker. They are not forced to work as slaves, they agree to the long hours and type of work they do.

I have worked as an expat in a multinational enviroment. The Europeans and Americans were there not necassarily for the money since we made about what we could in our home countries. The other nationalities were there for the excellent money compared to their home pay. As one person said, this is more money than I could ever make at home, especially since there are so few jobs.

Obviously I have offended a couple of folks to receive such vitriole. The $50 was per month. I'm just a gullible world citizen. In the US, waitrons do not get paid minimum wage because of tipping standards. Cruise lines catering to mostly Americans probably operate under similar policies. I do know that the workers on cruise ships work very hard with long hours. Yes, they may make more than they would in their home countries. So do the "illegals" working in the fields of California. And they also work "voluntarily".