FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Strike ballot called: here we go [General discussion of BA industrial relations]
Old Oct 26, 2009, 12:52 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by glamgirl20
I'd just to say that I'm disappointed and to a certain extent mortified that a ballot has been announced. Childish behaviour from both sides, but especially from the unions in the last year or so has put us in a rather difficult predicament. I personally don't agree with striking, and will be voting against it. A lot of my colleagues at my base won't be striking either, by the looks of things.

Unfortunately, I feel the union has misrepresented us and in several ways they have lied as well. Therefore, I think management will take this to the courts and find a legal loophole.

As for a time scale, the unions announced it today, which means the ballot will go in the post next monday (7 days notice). Due to the trip structure of the flying programme, the minimum time the ballot can run for is 3 weeks. Bringing the postal strike issues into it, the ballot may run for 4 weeks. After that, if the result is in favour of a strike, the union will have to give the company 7 days notice of any action. The action must be within 28 days. This is as I understand it.

I'm really crossing my fingers on this one. Any industrial action could mean the beginning of the end of BA, and I would hate to see that happen. For the record, none of the CC live on the breadline due to pay. Yes, most of us aren't paid very much, but a heck of a lot of other people in the UK earn less and manage fine. The figures that have been bandied around in the media are an average worked out from all grades. Most CSDs are on 4 times my salary, as an example.

All I can say is that I'm sorry, and that I hope the strike is averted somehow.
Thanks for this.

Your timings, suggest if a strike ends up happening it would start between 30 November and 28 December.