FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - convertible bag
Thread: convertible bag
View Single Post
Old Oct 26, 2009, 12:44 pm
fredf1

Till
Very thoughtful reply.

By the way, I would be travelling casually and not taking jackets, dress pants, etc.

By the way, the rated capacities of some of these bags is a bit misleading. If you multiply out the external dimensions, it usually adds up to less than the manufacturer's rating, so they are including the full capacity of the little pockets on the outside--which may have little value.

I looked at the website for the Trizip: it's capacity is less than the Aeronaut. The price is the same. The shoulder straps appears less well shaped. It is arranged as 3 divisions horizontally as opposed to the Aeronaut but I'm not sure that makes a big difference. I didn't see a picture of the internals but there are no more helpful divisions that I could tell.

The ebags weekender: looks more like a traditional back pack to me. It is rated larger than the Tristar and is much cheaper. The straps look much more comfortable. But, I must say, it is really just one large compartment with a zippered front pocket from what I can see.

The MEI voyageur suffers from the same issues at the ebags. Check out this review: http://onebagger.squarespace.com/blo...ck-review.html

It turned me off the MEI. I'm not keen on a bag that has no 'shape' to it and collapses when being loaded.

The MEI Executive Overnighter is larger than the Voyageur is larger (good), better organized, and 3 compartments.
This bag seems like the Air Boss equivalent with backpack straps. Although it is less well made than the Air Boss.

I like the Rick Steve's but the zippers are less robust and the fabric is polyester rather than cordura. I would hate to have a breakdown while travelling and I think that rain resistant is an important feature.
I don't know why Steve's doesn't make an 'upgraded' bag for extra money. I'm sure there would be a market for that.

Any comments on my comments?
thanks