FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Strike ballot called: here we go [General discussion of BA industrial relations]
Old Oct 26, 2009, 11:52 am
JonWB

Programs: BA Blue, BMI Blue+
Originally Posted by hammythehammer
You've been extremely lucky then . IIRC under present TUPE you could have kissed goodbye to the £20k a Year going into your pension pot.
I would hate to comment on the eroding of T&C's of someone earning £20k a Year , when in reality my own pension fund is being topped up by that amount.
All Raffles is doing is highlighting that T&C's can have long term consequences, in terms of relative cost structures for companies. If the market moves against you (either as an employer or employee), then market forces and competition may force the issue. Put very bluntly, that is happening to BA in a big way. For a long time it has survived on very high yielding full fare J passengers. But now, they have gone in sufficient numbers so the income doesn't cover the costs,whilst at the same time the LCC have decimated shorthaul, compared to what BA used to be able to charge/command. Video Conference will take another big chunk out of premuim flying.

So, whilst it is horrible for the staff (and actually BA as a company) they have no choice. The only choice is to reduce costs, which means either (a) job losses or (b) reduced benefits / improved productivity. However, if it is just job losses this only scales back the airline, it doesn't reduce it's cost structure.

Really it all comes down to staying on reduced terms or leaving (voluntarily or through compulsory redundancy), I see no other end game.