FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is there any advantage to waiting at that long line to see an agent?
Old Oct 23, 2009, 2:34 pm
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I have to admit, I don't get it either. I've never gotten in those long lines...if they have an advantage, I don't know what it is.

Even thinking about the worst case: flying a legacy carrier with no status, stuck in one of their hubs... I think I'd immediately jump on the phone. If it's an ORD blizzard, you aren't getting through, but if it's a mechanical or a less-extreme (systemwide) problem, you still might.

While waiting on hold, I'd figure out the next flight I hope to catch - if it's soon, I'd go to that gate. I'd also keep an eye out for a lonely GA - although that's more for the case of a mechanical than an ORD blizzard.

Depending on the airline, I'd also keep an eye out for a kiosk - those can usually handle some basic irrops support if your flight has been officially canceled.

Finally, if all else fails, I'd probably exit security and return to the main line outside. It would depend on the flight I hoped to catch and exactly *how* bad that line for airside customer service was.