FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Alaska Airlines Bored Room
View Single Post
Old Oct 23, 2009, 12:47 am
jackal
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Dasha
Trying to get a 2 and 5 year old back to Boston to see both sets of grandparents for X-Mas. Limited by work to leaving no sooner than 12/20 returning flexible 12/31 - 1/5. We're looking at $700 for the direct flight and redeye doesn't really work with a two year old. I don't expect 300-400 tickets but 500 is sounding like a bargain right now.

Fairs jumped 250-300 dollars in the past week. Any ideas if there will be a brief drop before the the holidays or will this just keep going higher. I guess we can always just celebrate via Skype.
Where are you flying from?

Unfortunately, your days are right at the peak periods. Based on my recent searches trying to do something similar for a family member, to get the best fares, you need to leave on or before 12/16 and come home on or after 1/8. As you come in closer to Christmas/New Year's from those dates, the fares climb. They start to get out of control after 12/22 and before 1/6, but that was a week ago, so availability in the lower fare buckets may have gotten even tighter in the meantime.

In order to have reasonable fares, you have to be flexible to travel when others aren't. If you're limited in your dates (as you are), you're competing with everyone else who is limited with his or her dates (which is most people).

But if you post where you're flying from, maybe one of us can help hunt you down something...

Last edited by jackal; Oct 23, 2009 at 12:55 am