FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: What is a SWU VIP eVIP SWUs? How does one work / long do they last? (Old)
Old Oct 22, 2009, 12:04 pm
sukn

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by FWAAA
My recollection is that the rules were not quite that set in stone. In 2008, I called the EXP number on 2/27 or 2/28 and call volume was so heavy that I got a recording telling me that if I was calling about expiring eVIPs, I should call back on March 1 or 2 and that an extension had been granted. When I called back, the agent was familiar with that extension.
I recall this scenario but have no experience with it. My question to you is, when you called on March 1st or 2nd, how was the situation handled? Did they let the expiring SWU expire and deposit a new one into your account or did they run some sort of a batch process whereby all expiring SWUs were extended?

The reason I ask is because there have been times when I have been allowed to use SWUs well after the expiration date, even though they weren't ticketed or cleared by the expiration date. For obvious reasons I have not posted about that experience here on FT, but in each of those instances, they let the expiring SWU expire, and redeposited an equal amount with a new expiration date.

On of the unintended benefits of this scenario was that the redeposited SWUs had an expiration date that was nearly two years away, since they were credited to the account as if they were earned during that specific qualifying year.