View Single Post
Old Oct 16, 2009, 10:11 pm
LessO2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bow Rider
How about specific examples?
Okay.

1) I'm in Global Entry but not Nexus. Flight from Toronto to IAD.
Regular line, no special treatment or access.

2) I'm in Global Entry but not Nexus. Flight from Saskatoon to IAD.
Regular line, no special treatment or access.

3) I'm in Nexus but not Global Express. Flight from Toronto to IAD.
You can use one of the NEXUS kiosks at YYZ.

4) I'm in Nexus but not Global express. Flight from Toronto to Richmond, Va (assume that's an international airport).
You can use one of the NEXUS kiosks at YYZ.

??? Are there US CBP agents at Canadian airports?
Yes. But not all of them, only the ones I listed in the previous post.

Even if there are don't you have to get past a US CBP agent in the US? I am clearly not getting this.
With the airports I mentioned before, you clear US Customs and Immigration before you even set foot on your flight to the U.S. You arrive in the U.S. as if you came off of a domestic flight.

Again...only Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto, Montreal and Halifax have "pre-clearance" at these Canadian airports. You check-in, but do not give your checked bag to the check-in agent, as it will only be tagged. You fill out your Customs Declaration Card. You go into the U.S. Customs Hall, get cleared by Immigration first, hand your card to the person handling Customs at the podium, then drop off your checked bag. Then you will end up at the security checkpoint, clear security, and you will be in a terminal where only U.S. flights depart. You will need to show your Passport to the person at the gate when you board your aircraft.

The rest is as if you're on a domestic flight. You will arrive at the domestic terminal, you will not need to clear US CBP again.

Bottom line: In Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto, Montreal and Halifax, Global Entry means squat.