FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - All cellular networks to work in DC metro!
Old Oct 16, 2009, 6:31 am
MM983

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors, Amex Platinum
From here:

"Until now, only riders with Verizon service and Sprint customers -- with roaming charges applying -- have had underground service on a wireless network as part of Metro's contract with Verizon since 1993.

The transit agency is required to expand the service as part of an agreement with Congress over additional federal funding for Metro."

Ugh.. Metro. So basically, they only reason WMATA is expanding service is because Congress pretty much put a gun to their head and, of course, WMATA is now going to comply because funding is tied to it.

"Verizon Wireless, Verizon was allowed to build and own the previous network, invest $7.6 million in building a public safety radio communication system for Metro and pay Metro annual usage fees. Metro received $46,000 in revenue from Verizon in 2005, $33,000 in 2006 and $28,000 in 2007, Metro officials have said."

Ha... Verzion executives laughed all the way to the bank on this one when they cut this deal. They only paid an average of $36,000 thousand a year (for these three years) for exclusive rights down there? I missed this the first time I read the article, but I like Verizon's marketing department.. nicely done by calling it a "public safety radio communication system."