FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Newport Rhode Island REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - no longer hyatt 12/30/16
Old Mar 19, 2004, 9:28 pm
BeantownFlyer

When the hotel first converted to a Hyatt I was regularly upgraded to various suites. All were two story units - some had regular stairs with the bedroom upstairs, and some had a difficult circular stairway that scared my kids. In more recent stays I have always been preblocked into a water view room in the "Captain's Quarters" (4 digit room numbers starting with a "3"; second digit is the floor, second floor units have a slightly better view than first floor). This is a seperate wing of the hotel with much larger rooms (in fact some of the standard rooms in the main wing are tiny and have views of the parking lot - so Captain's Quarters is a necessity!). Some of the rooms in Captain's Quarters have 2 queen beds and a queen sleeper, others a King and the sleeper. All have mini fridges. I usually call 1-800-CHECK-IN and ask them to see if the hotel has preblocked me, telling the agent that they usually preblock a suite or Captain's Quarters room for me (which is true). If a suite wasn't preblocked I ask that they call the hotel to see if one is available; the hotel will offer up suites to Diamonds if occupancy allows, as they have no RC. You will get breakfast coupons which are good at their buffet; pretty good deal. Hotel has an outdoor saltwater pool and indoor freshwater pool. Decent spa. Its across the bridge from downtown, so you need to hike or take their shuttle van downtown. There is a charge for parking (self or valet), although they have not charged me on my two recent visits (either by mistake or because they intentionally do not charge diamonds or people usuing awards). Service level is nothing great, but they try and have a AAA 4 diamond rating. I wish they would add a RC.