Old Nov 23, 03, 8:24 am
edsh

Programs: UA 1K 3MM Lifetime, AA PlatPro,Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime, Hyatt Globalist
I stayed for 3 nites at the end of August using FFN awards. I was assigned a normal room overlooking the yearround ice skating rink. The hotel is not air-conditioned and a note in the room advises summer guests to keep the curtains closed in the day and windows opened to cool the room.

As a Diamond member I received coupons worth somewhere around $5-7 per person per night for breakfast. I ended up redeeming these in the take-out cafe for coffee and pastries. The breakfast buffet in the restaurant was around $15.

A Diamond ammenity card was offered at check-in and room service delivered within a half hour.

Although I didn't find anything special about the room, the rustic lobby and surrounding area were beautiful. The hotel offered several activities including daytime and evening hikes, exercise classes, and get togethers by the outdoor fireplace. Shops in the picturesque village adjacent to the hotel had many more activities. Nice indoor-outdoor pool. For skiers, the property is a 2 minute walk to the nearest lift.

I think my biggest complaint would be valet-only parking. Although the hotel is surrounded by the Beaver Creek gated community, the town of Avon is 15 minutes drive down the mountain. The majority of area restaurants area located there. A free shuttle bus makes the trip every half hour but if you want to drive yourself or make daytrips to the surrounding area you'll have to go through the valet desk (in addition to paying a valet parking fee and tips each day).

Overall, I liked the hotel for its ability to incorporate the feel of Colorado into the architecture. It gave a real sense of place. The staff are friendly and responsive. The Park Hyatt branding is a little misleading as it didn't have the luxurious feel normally thought of in Park, Four Seasons, and Ritz Carlton properties.