FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Standby for flight with different routing?
Old Oct 12, 2009, 2:26 pm
beerup

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by HedgeFundie
I am booked on the JFK-SEA nonstop in a few days, but I'd really like to rack up some extra miles. Is it possible to standby for a JFK-LAX-SEA or JFK-DFW-SEA on the same day? Would the check-in kiosk give me such an option, and would both legs be confirmed at the same time?

My guess to these questions is no, but in that case, could I do this by paying the $50 same-day change fee (assuming there is space)?
As stated above, you will have no chance on the SEA-LAX AS operated flight. The best way to change from the nonstop to a connection is to ask the TA at check in. It is likely that your fare rules will dictate a non-stop, especially since SEA-JFK has been discounted heavily for the non-stop recently and it is usually the cheapest option. However, even if that is the case, the TA may reticket you (I get the impression that they do this for me because I am EXP, but not really sure how much status comes into it).

In my experience, the only way a TA will be sympathetic and help you out with a reroute during standby is if there is a good reason for it. If you tell them you need to get home earlier and suggest an itinerary that does so (i.e., show up at the airport significantly earlier), they will be much more tolerant than if you tell them you want to get a longer flight that gets in later. For example, YMMV, but you may have a hard time trying to convince them to change you from the JFK-SEA 5:10-9:00 to the JFK-DFW-SEA 5:15-11:55.

Another thing that will go against you is that there are not too many connections out of JFK, especially without going via California and connecting on AS. Showing up early at LGA will give you more options (or requesting a same-day confirmed departing LGA). I have successfully flown standby LGA-DFW-SEA on a JFK-SEA ticket when it got me into SEA significantly earlier.