FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Jan 5, 2004, 10:07 pm
NJUPINTHEAIR
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by divaof travel:
I have stayed at both properties several times. Basically, it comes down to which island you like better. Both properties are great. (Some people may even prefer Waikiki.)

This is an ongoing debate on this forum. I personally prefer Maui to Kauai for the following primary reasons.

1) The weather is more reliable on Maui, especially in the Winter.

2) More activities on Maui for children and adults. I specifically started to prefer Maui years ago due to the superior SCUBA diving options.

3) More whale watching options in the Winter.

4) Proximity of other islands (Lanai, Molokai, Molokini) for day excursions by boat.

5) Better restaurants and shopping on Maui for children and adults.

6) Personally, I have been treated better as a Diamond in Maui than Kauai.

Again, there seems to be no consensus of opinion on this issue, and I'm sure others will explain why they prefer Kauai.
</font>

I am totally in agreement with you. I, too, was treated better as a Diamond at Maui than at Kauai, and it appears that Maui is more varied and you can find more nightlife if you want, or quiet secluded areas, as well.

The Kauai Hyatt is much more beautiful and the rooms are larger and nicer, as are the grounds, BUT ... the beach is nicer at Maui, and the Kanapali area is not that built up to rival that of HNL. Moreover, the views of Molokai and Lanai from your balcony are much nicer than those of just the ocean from Kauai.

The Maui property kind of just got better with the passage of time, and a mini-Macy's department store in it was nice, as well.

The two properties are very different and really can't be compared very well, and the same is true for the HNL hotel.

But it just appeared to me that Maui, itself, is so much more diverse than Kauai, that after one long stay at Kauai, you probably have had an opportunity to see and explore the entire island -- and Wiamea canyon is truly incredible -- but that Maui holds many more things that require exploration, and you can do many more activities, there, as well.

So, although the Hyatt Kauai is a physically more attractive property, and the rooms at 600 sq. feet are very large, and the grounds are quite beautiful, the attractions of Maui trump those on Kauai, as Diva had said above.