FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why do people phone in Admirals Club no cell phone zones?
Old Oct 9, 2009, 7:44 am
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Exactly! My relaxation is as important as their business calls, and vice versa - the Club admin has been sharp enough to grant us all plenty of space to do what we need to do, but some folks are unaware.

I don't think there's much malice aforethought, and most do respond appropriately when pleasantly confronted.

And it can go beyond that - in FRA we were confronted by three people traveling together who persisted in speaking very loudly, about, shall we say, not family-oriented topics and using lots of inappropriate language and vulgarities. They had "taken over" one of the rooms (just past the snack / bev room) and attempted to make it their own - others avoided the room, a few sat down but soon departed (the other rooms were pretty crowded by this point). When I asked them to cease, they pretty much told me to, er, you get the idea.

After a word from me, the front desk staff told them the AC was for people (including families) to use as a respite from the hustle, bustle and noise of the airport and if they felt they had to persist in their inappropriate behavior they needed to leave the club immediately, as this kind of behavior is not tolerated.

At two other Clubs, contract cleanup staff were speaking inappropriately about sexual matters and swearing in Spanish. I also did mention this to AC staff, as again, it is inappropriate - merely misbehaving in another language does not diminish the fact the lounges are family-friendly and that we travelers are there to try for a little respite and (comparative) refinement before the next segment.

In my experience, AC staffers handle these disturbances pretty well - kudos to them!

Originally Posted by KtownTraveler
Why are you rolling over and playing dead? I smile and politely but firmly point to the sign(s). Violators are usually embarrassed and either hang up or move elsewhere. In the rare case of recalcitrant behavior, I am happy to complain to the front desk, That generally does the trick.