FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt Regency SFO airport REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Feb 10, 2003, 11:21 pm
onedog

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
I am now at the Hyatt SFO. Overall, so far it is a pretty nice hotel. Nothing 5* or super fancy, but i'd place it along the lines of a Westin.

I used 1-800-checkin and asked if I could possibly receive a Gold Passport Diamond upgrade to a suite as I needed a bit more room to spread out and do some work. I was upgraded to a two-room (two separate room numbers) hospitality suite.

The overall suite is VERY LARGE. The bedroom is in a separate room (the "hospitality" part of the suite is via a connecting door) and is pretty much your standard hotel room with a chair and couch...nothing special so far. The hospitality portion of the suite is about two times the size of your standard hotel room and contains a dining room table with seating for six, a separate "living room" area with a loveseat, two upholstered chairs, end tables and a television anwar which separates the dining area from the television area. There is a separate catering area where food service can be organized and passed through for meetings. There is also a complete bathroom. The sitting area has a Murphy bed which has been built into the wall in a bookcase area. I guess if needed because the hotel is full, the hospitality section of the suite can be sold separately.

Check-in at the front desk was quick and painless. The two front desk agents were busy on the phone when I walked up (@ 8:30 p.m.) but quickly became available to check me in. The agent was very pleasant and personable. She immediately acknowledged my Diamond status and offered me my choice of Diamond amenity without my having to ask. When I asked about the different snack choices (type of fruits and cookies), she immediately rang room service and asked for me. Since I was checking in so late, I asked for the fresh whole fruit (banana, apple, pear and an orange). This turned out to be the right choice as I was soon to have more than enough complimentary food.

As part of my Diamond amenity, I was also provided two drink and appetizer coupons, good at either the sports bar or the atrium cafe (I don't know why I received two coupons as I was only single occupancy. Maybe because I had been given a two-roomsuite?). I visited the atrium cafe and ordered crab cakes, a chicken quesadilla and two perrier to go. The crab cake was tasty and the chicken quesadilla was more of a entree size rather than an appetizer size. Needless to say, with two appetizers, I had more than enough food for one person.

I was also given two coupons good for the buffet breakfast in the atrium. I plan on eating there in the morning and will report back later.

As mentioned in prior posts to this thread, the Hyatt SFO does provide free wireless internet access. The SSID is "tsunami" (all lower case letters) and there is not WEP (no security). I was able to gain access with a minimum of trouble from my room The wireless access is available from the guest rooms and any public space in the hotel. Pretty good deal. This free access alone would make the Hyatt SFO my choice of airport hotel.

It appears from the hotel emergency escape diagram on the room door that there are sixteen hopitality suites on the 2nd floor. I am assuming that this is the same on the rest of the floors, but I cannot confirm this. The hospitality suite is much more room than I would need as a road warrior staying for only one night. But if I were traveling with family or with co-workers and needed the extra space to work, these suites would be very welcome.

Besides the sports bar and the atrium cafe, there is also a deli in the atrium which serves sandwhiches (sliced to order Boarshead brand meats) and other to go items. Plenty of sit down restaurants close by to the hotel. Most within a 5-10 minute walk. There is also a Hyatt Cinema (of what relationship to the Hyatt hotel I do not know) across the street. There are not really any fast food or faster food type of restaurants within walkin distance of the Hyatt.

[This message has been edited by onedog (edited 02-10-2003).]