FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Expensive vs. Cheap Luggage
View Single Post
Old Oct 8, 2009, 8:42 am
TMOliver

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
15 years ago, at a store closing, I bought half a dozen rollaboards of modest quality, the sort that probably then sold for $49.95 at full retail, for a $100. I still have 2 left in the original cartons, a 3rd is in use (but beginning to show its miles, and 3 have bitten the dust, a broken handle, a bad wheel, zipper-crash, over time.

Other than good boots, I don't buy shoes to last forever, and with TSA, wearing boots to travel is time-consuming. Even the most expensive clothing succumbs to wear and tear (almost as quickly as many cheap items carefully selected for durability. I don't find leather seat covers comfortable, and long ago decided that an Expedition was as good as a Navigator, and Suburbans rode just like Escalades, both at far lower prices.

Whether I'm sitting up front on my way to vacation in Europe or in back, visiting an old client a commuter flight away, travel has become among the most utilitarian of pursuits, and family purchases/gifts of fancy luggage (or prizes/gifts from others in lieu of outright bribery) haven't made the "fancy" stuff any more useful than the plain vanilla varieties, sometimes less so, heavier and too many bells, whistles, gizmos and zippers. The snazzy handmade goatskin suit bag I had made in Malta over 40 years ago only comes out for car trips and the nice over-sized Halliburton brief case, long ago a gift from an affluent and grateful client gathers dust in the closet, clumsy, awkward and inconvenient.

Form follows function.