FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Expensive vs. Cheap Luggage
View Single Post
Old Oct 8, 2009, 7:46 am
stupidhead

A better analogy might be shoes.

You can buy a good $300 pair of handmade men's shoes. Let's be generous, make that $500. If you treat them well, these shoes can be worn and re-soled for at least ten years. I have pairs that are 20 years old and that I have worn very often. Re-soled three times but never factory restored. That means the sole has never been completely taken off from the upper leather and never been completely replaced. I will do that soon. So ten years is realistic. Factor in another $50 for the cobbler. So $550 over ten years.

A half-way decent pair of dress shoes with a leather sole will still set you back $80. They will last 1.5 years max. Over ten years you thus need six pairs. That's $480. If you need seven pairs you are already over the $550 from the expensive pair. So for ten years you will be wearing cheap shoes, that look and feel cheap and you will have to go and look for new shoes at least five times. It's just not efficient in my eyes.
This analogy might work if you only needed one pair of dress shoes. Most people need more than one (say, 3ish?). Plus I'd get sick of wearing the same shoes for more than 3 years. Wardrobe's gotta move with the times, you know.