FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Mar 21, 2003, 3:05 pm
Tummy

Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay - Mini Review

I couldn't be happier with the room upgrade I received from the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay today. It's a top floor (14th floor) corner room with a beautiful view of the bay. There was a big thunderstorm earlier, but clouds cleared up about 1 hour before we got there.

This morning, I called 1800 Check-In and was booked room 1211, which was described as a club level with city view. At check in, I asked the receptionist if I could get a bay view room instead. He said that I was already check in, and had already been upgraded to a much better room.

With the huge windows and curtains open, my room began to warm up faster than the AC can cool it. The view at night should be wonderful though.

Behind and around the hotel there appears to be a wildlife sanctuary. I walked out on the boardwalk behind the hotels and saw lots of little fish and horseshoe crabs in the water. That was the first time I ever saw one of those crabs outside of the aquarium.

It's too bad that I'm only staying one night and my significant other isn't arriving until midnight. We're going to Orlando, Disney, for the rest of the weekend. (frequent forum readers will remember my last query about the Hyatt near Disneyland)

The Regency Club is nice, with huge windows that look over the same bay view. Part of the ceiling is open to the Armani's restaurant above, so there might be some noise in the evening.

The valet parking attendant was ok. My only qualm is that in about 30 seconds he mentioned that there was free parking available and he mentioned twice that the valet charge was $8 per night. IMO, very cheap as far as hotel valet parking goes, but I think most people aren’t as lazy as I am and would take the free parking route.

The concierge was busy with someone on the phone so wasn’t able to give me a detailed answer to my query about restaurants in the area open past midnight. He simply handed me a brochure for International Plaza and said that there might be a place there open that late. Not the kind of recommendation I was looking for, but I guess Tampa doesn’t have a lively night life like NYC.

There appears to be a NCAA tournament going on today and this weekend. Lots of activity in the lobby, right after I checked in. I hope it doesn’t get too rowdy tonight.

I flew in right from a client site for the weekend and didn’t pack any casual clothes. I forgot that Florida is extremely hot and humid. I wish I packed a bathing suit as the pool looks very tempting.

If I am ever in Tampa again, I would defiantly stay here as a Diamond. I’m not sure I would be as happy without Regency Club access, the room upgrade, and the bay view.

[This message has been edited by Tummy (edited 07-23-2003).]