FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - how illegal is it to let someone else drive your rental car?
Old Oct 7, 2009, 4:51 pm
Auto Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hertz4me
Just look at the front of the yellow rental jacket BIG WARNING IN RED

"Dont lose your rental priveleges allowing unauthorized drivers may result in loss all insurance coverages"

We had a customer that would rent every week from us, we would always present her the rental jacket, "These are your terms and condition of the rental" She would get smart and say everytime oh i already know them my heart. Apparently she didn't, she let her 18 year old niece drive a brand new car down the car and her niece hit another driver and totaled the brand new hertz car. Come to find out both insurances denied coverages for both parties(renter and niece). She probably had to file for bankruptcy, not many people have 20k just laying around these days
I heard a similar story from my neighborhood Enterprise. Once when I was there, the police called the branch because they stopped someone in Brooklyn for going 75 in a 50, and wanted to confirm that the renter was allowed to use the car. The agent checked the computer for the rental number and confirmed it for the officer. When he hung up the phone, the agent seemed completely nonchalant. When I asked what that was about, he shrugged and told me the story. The renter pays the ticket fine, so not his problem.

Then another agent who had heard our conversation said that something similar but worse happened a while back. A few months ago, the police had called, saying the renter was going 85 in a 55 and wrecked the car. This was with the parents' 18 year old son, and the kid wasn't even supposed to be driving it in the first place. This agent for some reason never found out what happened afterward.