FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Premium Flying Across the Ditch (Between New Zealand and Australia)
Old Oct 7, 2009, 1:02 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
NZ C 777 breakfast | Auckland to Melbourne (Air New Zealand business premier class on 777, early morning flight)

Pre-flight

Another day, another all too familiar early wakeup and ride to the airport. I walk past all the check in counters to the premium check in lobby for Air NZ. As usual, it is moderately busy at this hour of the day but there are plenty of agents and most of the passengers are regulars thus processed very quickly and efficiently.

I was advised the flight was delayed 30 minutes and there has been an aircraft change to 747. I've been reassigned a seat in the upper deck, however I don't really like that (especially today with a tight connection because upper deck business class is forward of upper deck premium economy and is slow to disembark, plus I feel the stares/glares of the premium economy passengers up there). I ask if I can sit in the nose - it has been some years since I've flown an Air NZ 747 other than in the nose and I have my favourite seats. Unfortunately they have all been assigned, but I'm assuaged by the comment that the lower deck second business class cabin has only 4 passengers including me, so will be nice and private.

I then did immigration. The dedicated officer for the premium lobby is great - saves a lot of time. Upstairs, the security area was busy but I picked a good line to go through with minimal delay and avoided the pat-down. After the usual "sleep-walk" past the shops and up to the lounge, I was welcomed back and ditched my carry on while I went for a coffee.

It seems they've cut back the hours of the barista so only self-serve coffee is available at this hour, and the newspapers haven't yet arrived. I surfed FT for a while instead and cleared my messages.

Onboard

When I fly to Melbourne or Brisbane I try to get on the flights which use the longhaul aircraft. A much nicer way to cross the ditch than the A320 or 767.

Boarding was eventually called in the lounge. As usual this call was made when the rest of the passengers were largely already onboard, to maximise our lounge time.

I efficiently stowed my carry-on, adjusted the seat (in business premier you can select any seat position for take-off, other than flat bed mode), selected the movie I'd started last time and fast-forwarded to where I'd left it. All in the time others were still sorting out their bags.

A couple of the crew were regulars on this route and we had a brief chat while boarding completed. My customary pre-departure drink was brought to me without even asking ^ and newspapers were offered. A short while later the arrivals card and express arrivals cards for Australia were handed out.

I finished the movie and had plenty of time to watch another plus the start of a third. Gate to gate IFE makes a huge difference on these Tasman flights.

I had some fruit and a couple of drinks, otherwise just mellowed out and had some quality thinking time. Some people who don't travel much ask me if I ever get bored spending so much time in the air. I really don't. Even if there isn't much on the IFE or isn't someone to chat with there is always a great opportunity to just think with a relatively clear mind away from distractions. I keep a pen & paper handy because I've had some brilliant ideas while flying.

Post-flight

We got a gate at the end of the pier. There was a short delay with the airbridge. Sometimes I wonder if MEL international terminal has only one or maybe two airbridge operators. If you arrive behind another flight you are almost guaranteed a slow disembarkation.

A few steps out the door I see the hoped-for fast walk to transfers is not going to happen. Not only are there hordes of people streaming out of the other airbridge a bit closer to immigration, but the customs people have roped off most of the corridor to force everyone to walk slowly in single file past some sniffer dogs.