FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011
Old Oct 7, 2009, 6:14 am
Gamecock

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by SwissYankee
One flight... What it comes down to is that AA has essentially sold me Platinum status for a mere $200, since I was going to fly these flights no matter what.[/B]

But like others have pointed out, there seems to be very few meaningful perks for my new Platinum status, other than the 100% bonus mile. It's essentially like a buy-one-get-one deal at the grocery store. If I fly one mile, I get one extra bonus mile, so award tickets will come twice as fast. Otherwise, I already get lounge access, business-class check-in, and elite security line access because all of my tickets are internationl business class fare.(with domestic segments booked in 2-class F)
You are right about selling PLT status. I only pay for Y, and qualified with a RT TATL, which I was doing anyway.

As far as other bennies, you will get the super secret PLT desk number, which many around here are quick to point out just moves you to the front of the que on the regular AA customer service number. But I have found them to be much friendlier and quicker to help.

What else? With status you can use OW lounges when flying on AA. Some of them are VERY nice.

There is one intangible benifit to having status: Op-ups, when offered, usually go to those with status.