FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why are chain restaurants so popular in the US?
Old Oct 7, 2009, 5:46 am
bensyd
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Didar56
I know that both McDonald's and Starbucks have research that showed them that one thing people really value is having the confidence that they will receive the same consistent taste, portion, service, etc....a consistent and familiar experience....whenever they visit an outlet of the chain, anywhere they go.

So perhaps that applies at the "proper sit-down meal" type of places as well. I do also think that the majority of people are really not very adventurous when it comes to eating and trying new things...and again, going to the same familiar place over and over again satisfies that approach to dining.

I also think that you find that the places in the U.S. with a more diverse ethnic population mix tend to be at least somewhat less "chain-centric", such as the East and West coast, than perhaps other areas of the country.

I know that in my own city of San Francisco, there is actually a quite forceful movement to RESTRICT chain restaurants (and chain retail stores as well) from coming into the market and perhaps forcing out smaller, locally owned establishments. There is quite a bit of controversy regarding this, with some believing it is contrary to free enterprise, while others feel it helps protects small business and the individual nature of each neighborhood within the city.
Some good points. Do you think a factor is that American cities are so pedestrian unfriendly that for many restaurants trying to get adequate foot traffic means that they lose out? That would explain why in places like NYC, SFO and other large walkable cities, local independants are able to get more of a foothold.

Originally Posted by MariaSF
I think that, besides the "familiarity" factor, there is also the power of Advertising/Marketing. Chains use mass media advertising, so people just know those brands, what kind of food they serve, and a lot of times how much it'll cost.
That's true, but still they had to get that scale before they could start mass media advertising, so somewhere along the line something happened.