FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011
Old Oct 5, 2009, 8:58 pm
SwissYankee

Programs: AA Platinum(new, via challenge), UA 1K(since '06), BR Diamond(since '08)
Originally Posted by Gamecock
When did you cross 10K Points? (IOW, how many days have passed?)

I seem to remember my family rolled over to PLT about 72 hours after they deplaned at FRA. (This was early September)
ding ding ding ding! a couple of hours after my flight miles posted, I noticed my new PLATINUM status. This was around 3AM this morning(Monday). The flights were posted but nothing saying "platinum" on my acct. I came here and posted my original question. 4 hours later, around 7AM, I checked my account again. This time, it said PLATINUM next to my account number! However, the 100% platinum bonus miles didn't show. Another two hours later, when I was going to bed(after all night drinking with my friend to get over the end of Oktoberfest), I checked again. Nearly 7200 miles of 100% bonus miles got posted! My next few flights are in J and F, also across the oceans, so the bonus miles will no doubt pile up in the next few days! Cool!

Now that I have more time to think about it:

I basically paid $200 for the platinum challenge and managed to meet the 10,000 with just a one-way flight across the ocean at full J fare. It was the most un-challenging challenge I have ever attempted. One flight... What it comes down to is that AA has essentially sold me Platinum status for a mere $200, since I was going to fly these flights no matter what.

But like others have pointed out, there seems to be very few meaningful perks for my new Platinum status, other than the 100% bonus mile. It's essentially like a buy-one-get-one deal at the grocery store. If I fly one mile, I get one extra bonus mile, so award tickets will come twice as fast. Otherwise, I already get lounge access, business-class check-in, and elite security line access because all of my tickets are internationl business class fare.(with domestic segments booked in 2-class F)

Unfortunately, I will not fly on AA enough to qualify for EXP, unless AA starts a EXP challenge, which I'd gladly fork over $600 to sign up! (is AA listening?)

Last edited by SwissYankee; Oct 5, 2009 at 9:06 pm