FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alabama Dining
Thread: Alabama Dining
View Single Post
Old Oct 3, 2009, 7:49 pm
BamaVol
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by BamaVol
I'll add my 2 cents, since no one has addressed Anniston/Oxford.

Zack's Mesquite Grill - the only place for steaks in the area, although I have not been displeased by the grilled seafood here either. Fried green tomatoes are ok. It looks like the fried pickles are off the menu, too bad! Zack himself is a real hoot.

The Victoria - wonderful atmosphere (there is a haunted room upstairs) and a decent menu -rack of lamb has been succulent both times. Watch out for the wine menu. I ordered a bottle from memory (company paid last time) for my wife and when I got the bill, found it cost more than the room for the night
Sadly, both are closed - although the Victoria is scheduled to reopen. Zack passed away around the end of 2008 and it doesn't look like anyone will take over. One of the Victoria's owners declared bankruptcy and the other owners donated the hotel to Jacksonville State U. The hotel is open and a couple from B'ham has been hired to run the restaurant. Stay tuned.

Jacksonville has a couple independents with promise. Cooters Browns is the place for ribs and Stephen Landers has opened Efina's for Italian. I've heard good things but haven't been up to try it yet, but can personally testify to Cotter Borwn's ribs and barbeque.