FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mileage Runs turnarounds / turnabouts / transits:- Experiences please
Old Oct 3, 2009, 5:49 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by A_Lee
I did a BKK-AKL-BKK turnaround on TG last year. No return boarding pass with me on arrival at AKL. Had quite a long wait at immigration and then questioned by the immigration officer why I was returning the same day. After explaining it was a mileage run, he mentioned a few other passengers he's run across doing similar things. He couldn't understand why someone would want to do it, but let me proceed without further questioning. Out of customs without a hassle this time and to the TG check-in counter very early before they opened. Finally one counter was open, but unfortunately the couple in front of me had to have been the slowest people in history to check-in. I waiting something like 30 minutes until finally another TG staff member showed up and opened another counter before being able to check-in. All the time the single couple remained at the other check-in lane, continuously asking all sorts of questions of the staff. Up to the NZ lounge and had an enjoyable time waiting for my flight to board. My usual great luck in getting great seats failed me this time though as the same couple I encountered at checkin were seated next to me and they chatted to each other at a loud volume the entire flight.

If you have no bags checked then there is no need to clear immigration at AKL. Go through transit security. Buy any liquid duty free from the upper level shops, not the ones before security. I'm not sure if the transfer desk can do TG BPs (they only do some airlines) - if they do then proceed past gates 1-4 to the transfer desk to check in. Then shop or head to the lounge until boarding. If transfer desk does not do TG then you can still shop or head to the lounge (show itinerary & if relevant your *G card to gain access). Then an hour before departure get checked in at the gate.

Obviously with longer transits you may wish to clear immigration to do some sightseeing, meetings, whatever.