FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old May 15, 2002, 8:03 pm
kv99

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
Boulder -- I'm very sorry, I have to respectfully disagree. The Kauai Hyatt is an awesome Hyatt and the Waikiki Hyatt is a dated facility, but the service is very good. I didn't, however, like the Maui Hyatt at all.

I booked two rooms using RC Club awards -- they gave me two rooms at either end of the hallway--as a Diamond neither was oceanview and one was a handicapped room. The front desk staff were very unhelpful at rectifying the situation, they just didn't care... I finally got them to give me two partial oceanview rooms (still at opposite ends of the floor)--they were fine. I'd bet the full oceanview ones would be quite nice.

Do look for Sandi Panzo because she is great, but she was the only nice one at the RC Club--the others all acted like they were doing me a favor. The main concierge desk was just plain goofy.

And the weirdest thing was the Italian restaurant which is only open every OTHER night-- we went down there one night and there was no sign or anything and it was TOTALLY DESERTED -- like the SHINING. Though I heard from a couple I met at the hotel that the food was quite good.

I also don't really care for its location on the very crowded stretch of Kaanapali. As an alternative, I'd definitely recommend the Kapalua Bay Hotel (Starwood).

Sorry to complain as I know many like this hotel a lot, but I was very irritated that I used 36K points per night at this hotel.

On the plus side, I did the hotel's whale watch trip which was very well-run. And when I brought many of these issues to the attention of the hotel management, they really did listen and gave me some freebies to get me to come back -- not sure though.

[This message has been edited by kv99 (edited 05-15-2002).]