FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Common Tourism Scams
View Single Post
Old Oct 1, 2009, 5:50 pm
goodo

I've had a couple of experiences, but thankfully no recent ones. Once due to delays and flight cancellations I ended up missing a transpac out of LAX. I took a cab to a cousin I was spending the weekend with. From LAX to Beverlywood the cab driver took the 105 to the 110 to the 10. While I don't know LA well something seemed suss about it, paid by CC, and took his card and made a note of the cab #. I contacted the cab company who apologized and basically said he was a new driver and cut the fare appoximately in half (which would've been a reasonable amount had I been charged that in the first place). The contact did say it was a new driver and thats why he drove out of the way. While I told them the new fare was an agreeable amount, I did mention that I didn't believe that story since the driver actually did put the address into his GPS .

My next story is worse, I was in NYC, a teenager overseas by myself, and someone started speaking to me on a bus in hebrew. I was visibly jewish and replied in hebrew. He basically gave me this whole sob story that his wife was in hospital and he needed to buy medicine and his bank's NY branch was closed. Yeah I'm sure you can guess what happened, I actually went to the ATM and withdrew some money for him (I'm not gonna say how much, too embarrassing) Suffice to say he gave me his name and address in Israel and I never saw him nor the money again.

goodo