FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Common Tourism Scams
View Single Post
Old Oct 1, 2009, 11:12 am
HIDDY
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Cairo taxi drivers are the worst in experience on all of my trips around the world.
One night we jumped in a cab and he delivered us to the wrong hotel with a completely different name from our own and nowhere near it either. It was obvious he knew what he was up to as we had shown him the hotel card.
Being tired and with no other taxis about we just had to stay with him and pay him the extra after arguing for a while and getting it reduced. Thankfully they are cheap so the cost wasn't too bad although the journey took us about 20 minutes more than it should have done.

On leaving we arrived at the airport and went to the wrong terminal. I knew there was a transfer bus so we went outside to wait for it. All the taxi touts converged on us once we came out with our luggage. I explained we were waiting on the bus but they kept insisting there was no terminal transfer bus. Things got out of hand and eventually a policeman came and helped us out. The bus did arrive.
Cairo will not see us back........it's not a relaxing place at all. One is always being pestered - very good humoured it has to be said but it gets all rather tiring.