FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Verizon AirCard, Roaming, and customer service - Fail.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 7:29 am
airmotive

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
Verizon AirCard, Roaming, and customer service - Fail.

I'm looking for some guidance from those who may have been down this path before, because I've just about exhausted my customer service route. Appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

I have a Verizon Wireless data card (PCI air card) I use with my trusty, dusty Thinkpad. I travel internationally a lot and to avoid any surprises, I make sure my VZAccess Manager program is set up to never connect while roaming. Additionally, my data usage plan specifically excludes 'I-Dial', which is required to connect in China, Isreal, India and most other countries outside the USA.

So, I was in India two weeks ago, staying at the ITC Sheraton in New Delhi (lovely place). I purchased the hotel's internet access plan for the week, plugged in my laptop and surfed away the sleepless night. 20-30 minutes into my session, I noticed my 'network cable unplugged' icon in my systray. "That's odd", I thought, since I was still downloading several radio programs I regularly listen to. A bit of probing revealed that my air card, in spite of all my precautions, had connected to the internet. Don't know how or why, but there it was. So I disconnected (and unplugged the card) and reconnected to the hotel service....I figured that was a $20 or $30 mishap.

Nope.

The bill came two days ago - $607.43.

I called Verizon and explained.
At first the CSR offered to credit 50% of the charge. I fussed a bit and he offered to credit 75% of the charge. I was about to bite, but then I also had a technical question about how/why the card connected even though I set everything up to not connect while roaming (I would hate to make the same mistake twice). The next day, Verizon called back and said I owed the entire amount, it's a legitimate charge and that the roaming prevention features only apply within the United States.

To make a long story short, they're saying it's a legitimate charge, I should be more careful and they are not budging one penny.

I'm a long-time Verizon customer and the kind of client Verizon spends millions every year to try to attract as a customer. Other than cancelling my account, what recourse do I have???