FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Moving to GRR, any advice?
View Single Post
Old Sep 26, 2009, 8:45 am
Booker

Welcome to West Michigan flying, SkiAdcock. The new covered parking structure was a long time coming and we sorely needed it. You'll understand why more than a few frequent users of GRR will shed a little tear of joy when winter gets here.

Driving to the airport is de rigueur in these parts I'm afraid, or one cops a ride from a friend or associate. An acquaintance of mine tried to start up a private shuttle service from outlying areas to GRR but the enterprise fell flat due to lack of interest in our neck of the woods.

That said, in my rolodex (yes, some of we old farts still have them) I have listed for the Holland Area a company called Coleman's that advertises airport shuttle services. A quick Google search found a website: Coleman's

It might be worth a shot getting a quote from them.

A popular Plan B in this area is booking a Park & Fly package at one of the airport area hotels. The rates vary by season and midweek/weekend, start at about $80.00, include one night's lodging before or after your trip, free parking of your car for up to a week or two (need to check restrictions) and use of their airport shuttle.

It might sound kind of silly since you live close in to the airport but I live just an hour from GRR and use it frequently for myself, primarily for super early departures or late arrivals but especially during times of inclement weather when slogging to the airport can be a challenge in the dark on bad roads. You'll know what I mean when you experience your first heavy lake effect snow event.

I usually use the Hilton but know that the Baymont Inn and Crowne Plaza also offer them. They come and go with others so you need to check direct. It's just another way to take some of the stress out of winter travel in these parts.

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
While not asked, I thought I'd add to this thread since I've just done my first trip from GRR now that I live in Western Michigan. There's not really a SuperShuttle service like LAX has (where I moved from), & shuttle/taxi GRR-Holland is astronomical from what I was quote, so I actually drove to the airport .

I allocated a lot of time since I've never done long-term parking, etc, but the drive was pretty easy (of course it's not winter yet!) & the shuttle busses run about every 5 minutes from the long-term parking lot. I thought I was going to be there forever & was pleasantly surprised to find I wasn't. The long-term shuttle parking is $8/day or $48/week, and it does take credit cards. There's a dedicated exit line for ccs.

The covered parking structure is supposed to be done in November, which I think will beat the winter snows. Hope so, as my car hasn't been exposed to snow; just beach salt air

Cheers.