FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Service Culture
Thread: Service Culture
View Single Post
Old Sep 26, 2009, 12:54 am
QUERY

Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance
I'm not sure who gets to name agencies in government, but they must have a narrow field of vision. I don't think Transportation Security Administration is counter-intuitive, but it sure has an almost kneejerk quality to it. Does TSA "administer" transportation security? Some might say it does. To me, the entire purpose of the agency is to make flying safe. The whole air industry and all the people it served went into a fetal position immediately after the World Trade Center disaster. Suddenly, it seemed like people thought there was no safety anywhere. The government infact dealt the economy a body blow by grounding aircraft. Granted, they hadn't a clue where the next strike would be. But it seems to me the National Guard could have been called out to provide manpower for surveillance of air terminals.

That's all water under the bridge. I feel we should be well recovered from that moment, but I can't escape the feeling that the fear still stifles creativity. Complaining has become a national pastime.

Anyway, I hate interminable complaining. I want productive problemsolving. And to me, it starts with refocusing on TSA's real mission. I'd say it justifies its expenditure by serving the traveling public. That's the single reason we support a budget and the intrusion into the flying experience. So we all are CLIENTS, not suspects. Just as a person at a teller's counter is a client, so a traveler at a security checkpoitn is a client. The officer should be thinking they are serving a client, meeting that client's need. People stand in lines most places. It's part of 21st century life. Its is how our lifestyle is possible since mass production is the basis of our living standard.

I think a service guru or two should be hired by TSA. My first thought was Tom Peters since he spent years focusing on little else. But he may have peers who are even better. The point is that TSA spends our money, and it is incumbent we get value plus convenience. Lines have already been attacked in several ways, which I like. I can precheck from my computer at home, just like practically all my banking is done that way. But I think the service potential is far from exhausted.

I've seen a revolution at my local post office. When their business started encountering serious competition, service at that outpost became more and more pleasant. I'd stand in line for pickup of a parcel, and someone would call out that they'll take the slip and bring the item out. So I get OUT of the line and claim my parcel. And there's a list of other things I saw done which made it obvious that they were brainstorming the "service" which became part of their name.

I feel like writing a lot of letters to find out what is being done and suggest other things they can do. Instead of complaining, the clients ought to be suggesting how they'd like the service to work. I think this is a consumer friendly government, so maybe now the iron is hot.
With all due respect, a security organization like TSA cannot be run like a private corporation. It would make the situation even worse. I've worked at private corporations, in the insurance field, about as cutthroat as can be. They did things like phased cuts of employees to make their bottom line look rosier than it was so that their stock price would go higher. The trouble is, the rest of the employees near the bottom of the ladder had to pick up the workload left by the terminated employees. It became impossible as they gutted the organization of good people. We did the best we could, not taking it out on our subscribers, but deep down there were no smiles on our faces. Eventually, the ax-cutters terminated our employment as well(but it wasn't a surprise because there were few of us left at the office anyway). If you did that to any security organization, you would be compromising the security of the very people the organization is supposed to protect. You specifically mention the Post Office and their current crisis whereby they are closing post offices and mailboxes to reduce their costs. You, as a customer, may see "improvement" in customer service because you associate the increased competition as the cause. It is email that is causing their woes. Its increased use has cut their revenues on letters as people make the switch. I've had a post office box for over 30 years at the same location and the employees I see there are not happy, despite the fact that their post office isn't closing. These employees probably have coworkers from other post offices that are getting the ax and now they will be getting the business from those closed post offices as well. There are no smiles on their faces. Most of them have always been courteous to the customers. They have supervisors that watch them work and take complaints when they screw up. There were a few bad apples but there will always be these types at every organization. You speak of value plus convenience from TSA because they are funded with taxpayer dollars. You get that from you local police force, FBI, CBP, etc.? They operate behind the scenes most of the time, protecting us.