FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Service Culture
Thread: Service Culture
View Single Post
Old Sep 25, 2009, 10:41 pm
Trollkiller

Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance
I'm not sure who gets to name agencies in government, but they must have a narrow field of vision. I don't think Transportation Security Administration is counter-intuitive, but it sure has an almost kneejerk quality to it. Does TSA "administer" transportation security? Some might say it does. To me, the entire purpose of the agency is to make flying safe. The whole air industry and all the people it served went into a fetal position immediately after the World Trade Center disaster. Suddenly, it seemed like people thought there was no safety anywhere. The government infact dealt the economy a body blow by grounding aircraft. Granted, they hadn't a clue where the next strike would be. But it seems to me the National Guard could have been called out to provide manpower for surveillance of air terminals.

That's all water under the bridge. I feel we should be well recovered from that moment, but I can't escape the feeling that the fear still stifles creativity. Complaining has become a national pastime.

Anyway, I hate interminable complaining. I want productive problemsolving. And to me, it starts with refocusing on TSA's real mission. I'd say it justifies its expenditure by serving the traveling public. That's the single reason we support a budget and the intrusion into the flying experience. So we all are CLIENTS, not suspects. Just as a person at a teller's counter is a client, so a traveler at a security checkpoitn is a client. The officer should be thinking they are serving a client, meeting that client's need. People stand in lines most places. It's part of 21st century life. Its is how our lifestyle is possible since mass production is the basis of our living standard.

I think a service guru or two should be hired by TSA. My first thought was Tom Peters since he spent years focusing on little else. But he may have peers who are even better. The point is that TSA spends our money, and it is incumbent we get value plus convenience. Lines have already been attacked in several ways, which I like. I can precheck from my computer at home, just like practically all my banking is done that way. But I think the service potential is far from exhausted.

I've seen a revolution at my local post office. When their business started encountering serious competition, service at that outpost became more and more pleasant. I'd stand in line for pickup of a parcel, and someone would call out that they'll take the slip and bring the item out. So I get OUT of the line and claim my parcel. And there's a list of other things I saw done which made it obvious that they were brainstorming the "service" which became part of their name.

I feel like writing a lot of letters to find out what is being done and suggest other things they can do. Instead of complaining, the clients ought to be suggesting how they'd like the service to work. I think this is a consumer friendly government, so maybe now the iron is hot.
The TSA is over ALL transportation. Basically if it ain't your feet moving you the TSA has some dominion over it.

The TSA has only ONE job to do at the airport, when dealing with passengers, and that is to keep weapons, explosive and incendiaries off the plane.

While I understand your use of "client, customer, etc." I must disagree. The TSA needs to treat me as a citizen with my rights fully intact. Once that chore is done, then we can work on having happy faces at the checkpoints.

While the TSA is engaging in illegal activities and still failing at their mission, all the forced "yes sirs", "no sirs", "please" and "thank yous" mean nothing.

I agree that nonproductive complaining has become a national past time, thankfully the complaining here, the TSA blog and media outlets is productive.

Public opinion is very important when attempting to dismantle and rebuild a Government entity such as the TSA. The tide is turning from a "whatever makes us safer" attitude to a "why is the Government taking my rights and STILL not making us safer" attitude.

As for suggestions, the "clients" on this board and the TSA blog have made a ton. Most involve increasing real security based on practicalities and eliminating the security theater we currently have.

It has been at least a year since I suggested using a strapping machine to secure luggage from molestation after screening. The idea is cost effective, as the strappers are between $5k & $10k each, and would decrease the likelihood of a bomb being placed on board dramatically.

Have we heard a peep about that? Nope, not even a "we looked at it".

Feel free to write letters and contacting your Representatives as a good portion of us have. Do us a favor when you get a reply please post it to the forum, even if it is a form letter.