FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Trip report - Paris/Republique. Nice!
View Single Post
Old Sep 13, 2003, 6:52 am
shinbal

Trip report - Paris/Republique. Nice!

I also made a similar post in the travel/Paris forum, but thought I'd post here as well in case someone was looking.

Some Paris enthusiasts scoffed at us for picking a Holiday Inn in Paris - but two factors influenced our decision. One, we were comfortable with a brand, and didn't get solid suggestions from anyone on a boutique hotel unique to Paris. Second, it was free, since we had Priority Club award points to use. WE ARE VERY GLAD WE STAYED AT THIS HOTEL.

We were upgraded to an executive on arrival. All we did was ask. No attitude, no looks of, "you must be crazy" - just an investigation of rooms available, a smile, and a "yes, we can do that". Room was large by Paris standards, and very comfortable, with a king-size bed. Small TV, but lots of channels, a very deep bathtub with removable shower head, nice bath amenities, and separate toilet room. Housekeeping was friendly and reliable, and very quick. I can honestly say that every need we had was met quickly and with a smile.

The service at this hotel was way above what I was expecting. The staff was very, very friendly. I tried to use French as much as I could, and they were DELIGHTED that I was trying. But the staff happily helped me in English too. Bruno, the concierge, was 100% on in every suggestion, and couldn't have been friedlier and more helpful.

We did not eat in the hotel restaurant because - well, it IS Paris after all...so we essentially found our food elsewhere, including the amazing neighborhood patisseries.

The greatest part about this hotel, though, was the metro. Literally 20 steps outside the front door, at the Republique station, are 5 lines of the Metro. With a Paris Visite pass, we got everywhere we needed to go in minutes and rarely (only when out after 1AM) used a cab.

I know there are many more glamorous places to stay in Paris, but for the newbies, like us, it really helped us enjoy our vacation more. I would stay there again, and the rates for paid stays are part of the reason . I found it very reasonable. Yikes, now I really miss Paris!