FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Foreign credit cards at Indian carriers/portals
Old Sep 22, 2009, 6:18 pm
aktchi

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by hyho61
I had a different experience with Indigo. When I tried to use my Chase visa the portal rejected it. I checked with Indigo, then determined it was the bank. I called the bank twice before it was resolved.
I am trying to make a reasonable distinction between when (i) an Indian website is not accepting all or some of the foreign-issued cards, and when (ii) your bank itself rejects those charges because their computers detect it as an "unusual purchase" for you.

For example, having used my ATM card in Delhi, London, Tokyo for many years, I found it rejected in Montreal because my bank's computer correctly determined that, though geographically closer, it was an unusual city for me. However, this was my bank's decision and can't be blamed on Canada or the canadian bank I was at.

I have learned to inform my credit card and ATM card issuing banks before every major trip. Maybe we should do the same before a charge spree on Indian portals.

However other merchants in India routinely accept foreign credit cards and the charges go through without any problems (hotels, department stores, restaurants etc.). It seems the problem is unique only with airline websites.
I think the banks make a big distinction between when a card is physically swiped and you there to present an ID if asked, and when it is being used online or over phone. So yes, in principle I could probably use my card at an airline's office in Delhi but not be able to use it online.