FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Need advice re: denied boarding
View Single Post
Old Sep 21, 2009, 7:10 pm
FC ORD

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM; former GS
Need advice re: denied boarding

I was flying MKE to ORD to CID this morning. I got to the gate for my 6:00 flight to ORD as the 5:30 flight was boarding. I asked the GA if there was room for one more and he said probably in a couple of minutes as there were several no shows. I received a boarding pass, ramp checked my bag, and boarded the plane. A few minutes later, just as the doors were closing he entered the plane and said I had to deplane. When we got back to the gate he said he had to pull me off because they had "weight and balance issues" and I was the last passenger to board. I asked for a IDB voucher and was told "no way" because "standbys" don't get them. Is this correct?? I thought that once I received a boarding pass and boarded I became a ticketed passenger, not a standby.

To add injury to insult, he then announced that the 6:00 flight was cancelled due to mechanical problems and that we would be bussed to Chicago. The GA assured me that I would make the flight from ORD to CID. Needless to say, I missed my connecting flight and half of a day of work.

I will write 1K Voice; what should I request? Also, how could I have responded better at the gate? Thanks for your input.