FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - More dilution of benefits to Platinum Medallions
Old Sep 21, 2009, 10:26 am
PMMMDL

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
As an experienced AA flyer, one really ought to know better than that. I'm 24 for 28 on DL/W upgrades this year as a Gold. This volume of flying would have yielded just twelve 500-mile 'stickers' on AA as a Plat (AA's mid tier) to upgrade for free on perhaps four of those 28 flights.

It seems the OP is ignoring the rollover feature and choice benefits for platinums, in which case the central insight is that four is less than six (SWUs in this case). To me, the real argument is that DL never should have watered down its 100K mile top tier to match CO + NW 75K Plat-lites in SkyTeam in the first place.
I'm not saying that PM is worthless, only that the proper comparison now between programs is (in this case) AA's Platinum to DL's Platinum and AA's EXP to DL's Diamond. This is based on ease of achievement, not benefits rendered. Earning 50K EQM/EQP on AA is about the same as 75K MQMs on DL IMO. The same with 100K on AA for EXP verses 125K on DL for Diamond.

The value of benefits earned at each level will vary according to flying habits.