FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - HNL Thrifty Experience
View Single Post
Old Sep 20, 2009, 2:55 am
jackal
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Sorry, I fail to see what the problems are.

It has never been my experience that adding a Blue Chip number raises the rate. The exception would be if your Blue Chip profile has a listed Corporate Discount number, which may result in a higher rate depending on the terms and rate plan of the corporate account.

Counter systems are not set up to add Blue Chip numbers. If the reservation was not made with a Blue Chip number, it doesn't really help to add it at the counter anyway. Your rental won't be pre-done, since you didn't give your profile when you booked it, and it will take just about the same amount of time to manually add in your address/license information as it would to mess with your Blue Chip profile. The only exception would be if you collect Blue Chip Rewards points instead of airline miles, in which case it's a simple thing to add your Blue Chip number (tell the agent to add frequent flyer airline code "BC" with your Blue Chip number as the frequent flyer account number). But that is separate from pulling up your Blue Chip profile. (And you're not entitled to use the Blue Chip lane/counter when you don't book with your Blue Chip number.)

You were given a car which is standard for the fullsize across not only most Thriftys but also many rental companies nationwide. Heck, the Charger is considered a premium car by Enterprise.

Nowhere in the Blue Chip program materials does it ever state anything about Blue Chip customers being eligible for free upgrades. This is not a benefit of the Blue Chip program. Blue Chip is (and only markets itself as) an express rental program (with the side benefit of an optional rewards program)--by giving your number when reserving the car, you should have an expedited experience, as your rental should be pre-done before your arrival. But that's it.

It is policy not to give customers dirty cars, not only because even if they say they don't mind taking it dirty, they still end up complaining later, but also because it's a risk management thing: it's during the vehicle servicing that it is thoroughly inspected for damage (once all the accumulated dust and mud has been washed off) and examined for faults (which can lead to rental agency liability exposure, such as burned out headlights or whatnot).

$20/day extra for a Durango is not an unreasonable charge. I know people who have paid $50-$100 more per day for a large vehicle like that. You're not entitled to free upgrades, and certainly not to a fullsize SUV like that. If you wanted the space of a minivan, why didn't you keep that reservation?

The Charger is, as I said, a fairly standard vehicle in rental fleets nationwide. I know Budgets and Alamos that rent them, too. It's actually a popular car, and many people specifically request it and are disappointed (angry, even) when one is not available and they are given something else. Sorry that it didn't work out for you.

The weekly rate thing is either a glitch or the product of a requirement of a poorly-coded weekly rate code. Usually, the systems are programmed to charge the daily rate up to the weekly rate and then cap out at the weekly rate, which leads me to believe this was a glitch--which the manager promptly fixed for you and gave you coupons as a goodwill gesture (despite having already fixed the problem). I'm not sure what your complaint is here, either.

Appreciate the report, but other than the return signage being poor (and this may be out of Thrifty's hands, too, and in the responsibility of the airport authority or the state of Hawaii), I see nothing that Thrifty did to deserve a .

That said, Blue Chip does come with a satisfaction guarantee. If you're not fully satisfied with your rental experience (and I'm not sure how you wouldn't be, given that your impression comes from your own false expectations and errors), you can get one day free. Each location should have one of these forms on file. Of course, you have to book with your Blue Chip number in order to qualify for this guarantee.

Last edited by jackal; Sep 20, 2009 at 6:00 pm