FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Monkey, Temples, and Sun in Bali (Photo report of TG/SQ/NH in J and IC Bali)
Old Sep 17, 2009, 8:38 pm
UALboy

Programs: UA 1P 1MM
DPS-SIN-NRT

As a club guest, we were provided with transportation to the airport. However, the ride to DPS was pure madness. There was so much traffic, so many motorcycles, so much chaos for our supposedly 15-minute journey to the airport. I wish I had taken some pictures because the craziness was just priceless. However, I was just sitting there getting worried about missing the flight. But, once we got through the bottleneck, everything was okay. We easily negotiated security, check-in, paying the departure tax, and immigration. Soon enough, we arrived in a nicely decorated lounge, shared by most airlines. It does require one to climb a flight of stairs to get there. However, there was a porter ready to carry our belongings as we ascended the stairs.

The food station, with an okay spread. The servers were very eager to help though. Loved all the exotic designs.

A few tables were set up outdoors.

View of the tarmac from the lounge patio.

Welcome drink (Golden Spice on the left, Champagne on the right)

Hmmm... Singapore and Silver Kris Sling

Once we were in the air, the cabin crew sprung into action (1 IFS, 1 LS, and 1 FSS). They were super efficient in getting everyone watered and fed. You can definitely sense that they were feeling stressed out by the limited amount of flight time to carry out all the service. Nevertheless, drinks were constantly topped off with a smile. Here is the dinner served on the sector.

Starter
Szechuan smoked salmon with apple salad and mesclun

Main

Roasted Oriental duck with linguini, shiitake mushroom, coriander and pak choi

Makanan laautan masak assam (Seafood flavoured with tamarind sauce, seasonal vegetables and turmeric rice)

Grilled tournedos of beef with mushroom sauce and roasted rosemary potatoes

Finale
Bavarian crew with strawberry

The food was very delicious. Soon enough we arrived into Changi and we immediately went to our departure gate as it was approaching boarding time to NRt already.

Hello Whale

A look of the mini J-cabin from row 12.

Welcome drinks served in the new glassware

Stairs to the Suites

Getting ready for bed with the flat bed.

Since this is a redeye flight, we were provided with the option of eating soon after take-off, or 2 hours before landing. Here is the menu:

Main

Pan fried black cod served with cilantro-tomato sauce, sauteed spinach and fingerling potato

Glutinous rice wrapped in lotus leaf with marinated pork, black mushrooms and Chinese sausage.

American Breakfast
Fruit yoghurt
Spinach omelette with chicken sausage, roasted roma tomato, hash brown potatoes

Continental Breakfast
Assorted bread with preserves

Your meal will be served with a selection of sliced fresh fruits

Hanagoyomi

Sakizuke
Grilled fish cake, shredded burdock and carrot

Kuchitori
"Dashi" flavoured egg omelette, spinach with sesame seeds

Aemono
Vegetables with beancurd paste, conger eel and vegetables with sesame dressing

Yakimono
Grilled white miso flavoured salmon trout

Takiawase
Simmered pumpkin, taro, carrot, green beads

Owan
Miso soup

Gohan
Grilled soya glaced rice ball, grilled seaweed with rice ball

Kounomono
Assorted pickles

Mizumono
Assorted fresh fruit

It was quite unfortunate that we were awoken 2 hours prior to landing for breakfast, as we have quite a bit of time to spare before we arrived in NRT. I wish that we could have slept a little more so that I could feel more energized for a short day-trip to Tokyo. Anyways, to kill some time before landing, we decided to check the A380 out.

The spiral staircase

The Y cabin

The main J cabin

Bye whale!

Next: 9 hours in Tokyo, NRT-LAX on NH