FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Airlines Please Come to SAN or LAX
Old Sep 16, 2009, 10:04 pm
beckoa
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by dgwright99
Given that BA used to fly 777s non-stop to LHR out of SAN, can it really be the case that 73H would would be weight-restricted ?

Those BA flights were usually full in the back; it was my lack of company up front that killed the economics...
That is what I have heard...

Not sure on the short field performance of the 777 vs. 73H...

Here's some more info from Wikipedia:
Reverse operations

Under Santa Ana wind conditions, operations are reversed with landings and takeoffs to the east. Because of the terrain, weight limits are imposed on departing aircraft under these conditions.

Terrain east and west of the airport greatly impacts the available runway length. Runway 27 (heading west) has a climb gradient of 317 ft/nmi (52.2 m/km) feet per nautical mile leaving an equivalent takeoff distance of roughly 8,000 ft (2,400 m) for twin engine aircraft). Taking off to the east requires a 600 ft/nmi (99 m/km) climb rate, this leaves an equivalent takeoff distance of 6,400 ft (2,000 m), enough to force a weight penalty on the 737-800.

It should also be noted that Lindbergh Field does not have standard runway safety areas 1,000 ft (300 m) in length at each runway end. An engineered materials arresting system (EMAS) has been installed at the west end of the runway to catch any aircraft overruns, but its 318 ft (97 m) length, the standard is 600 ft (180 m), can only for certain stop aircraft up to 350,000 lb (160,000 kg) in weight. The east end of the runway does not have such a system as its use would reduce the runway length by at least 400 ft (120 m), further impacting the runway's capability.

Under some Marginal and IFR conditions, aircraft takeoff toward the west (Runway 27) but arrivals also approach from the west (Runway 9, the only direction equipped with ILS). This can cause traffic problems and delays both in the air and on the ground.

Last edited by beckoa; Sep 16, 2009 at 10:33 pm Reason: Added wikipedia info