FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton Garden Inn Milan Malpensa {ITA}
View Single Post
Old Sep 16, 2009, 3:08 pm
Firewind

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Thumbs up A unique HGI - in a very good way

I like this hotel very much. It's like no other Hilton Garden Inn I've stayed in. (I don't dislike them. I mean it's not like all the others.) Its primary design is circular, with the lobby at the bottom of a 10m diameter atrium open to light at the top. The front desk is at the center, with the lobby circling it. The whole place feels - smells! - like new, probably because it's always been entirely non-smoking. It seems like it's in the middle of nowhere, something they tout.

My room was large, though not a suite, and with a view of far off mountains. All the amenities of a full-service Hilton. A king bed (two singles together) with specially padded mattress and white damask-covered duvet. Floor was carpeted, not wood as shown in photos. ~40cm diagonal flat-screen TV. New ergonomic desk chair. My room had a shower, not a bath. Heated towel rack. Two free bottles of water.

Happy hour included a free small but tasty antipasti buffet. Can't comment on dinner because I overdid the hors d'oeuvre. Morning breakfast was a buffet with prosciutto, parma ham, sausage, bacon, eggs, sauteed mushrooms, beans, several sliced soft and hard cheeses, breads, pastries, yoghurt, several juices, and they'll make special coffees. It was all included in the rate. (NB: I'm a recently fallen-from-grace Diamond, so this was a surprise and very appreciated.)

Tip: If you're coming down from the lakes or Switzerland on the A8, don't take the first "Malpensa ->" turnoff. It'll take you through several small towns with lots of rotaries and farm trucks. Take the later highway access. And carry their phone number. I waited longer than I want to tell, thinking that their shuttle was regularly scheduled. The ride back to the airport departed immediately. (To clarify, I initially dropped off the car at the airport, and took the shuttle to the hotel.)

Like I said, like no HGI I've ever stayed in...

The one problem I had, and just remembered, was with the wireless. As with most captive internet access, a username and password is required. You then land on the hotel's website. Which kept yielding a warning window that the website had a bad certificate. I'm probably too lax, but didn't quit it then (not doing anything confidential). But the real problem was that I kept having to re-up about every five to ten minutes. The front desk didn't know what to do any better than I did, and said they hadn't heard of the problem previously. The wired access worked fine.

Last edited by Firewind; Sep 18, 2009 at 2:58 am Reason: Added the mushrooms to the recipe