FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Airport Layouts and Passenger Flows
View Single Post
Old Sep 16, 2009, 1:30 pm
CarsTrainsPlanes

Programs: AAdvantage, Mileage Plus, World Perks, Smiles
First of all, thank you for your collaboration -- you've been bringing up a lot of useful information. Second thing is I looked up PRG and ZRH websites today and they are very interesting. Prague's I think is the best airport website ever, as it has those 360º picture tour, just great.

Lastly, I have looked up some airports on Bing Maps using its bird's eye feature (unfortunately not available at all locations). I found some interesting stuff:

Terminal 7 at JFK. Highlight goes for the jetway that moves up for international arrivals or down for all departures. Does anyone know other airports where this type of jetway is featured?

Terminal 8 at JFK. The path for passengers arriving in international flights is clearly seen. First, escalators up (close to the jetways), then a sterile corridor that goes to an immigration hall.

LGW - London/Gatwick

Can anyone tell why some gates are attached to a tall structure that connects the jetway to a corridor on the top level and some aren't? Does that corridor end in an immigration hall, like the one from JFK's T8 (pictured above)?

FRA - Frankfurt am Main

All jetways are attached to multi-story structures. What is that for? Are these "flexible" gates, which can handle Schengen and non-Schengen arrivals and departures? I noticed similar structures in those satellite gates (E gates?) at ZRH, but the picture is not as good as FRA. By the way, I found some outside pictures of this concourse in FRA and there is a LH logo on each of the tall structures.